Home remodeling project considerations give us plenty to think about. It can be daunting. The thrill of a home renovation can quickly change because of unforeseen circumstances, stretched budgets, and other unexpected issues. The good news is that most problems can be avoided by being prepared.
Planning is everything. If you have a spending limit for your project or don’t know where to start, creating a budget should be one of the first things you do. Looks can be deceiving when it comes to things like appliances, flooring, countertops, and plumbing fixtures. Making these choices in advance leaves nothing to chance.
There are a few key points to keep in mind before you launch a home remodeling and renovation project.
Set a Budget
The best starting point for a home remodeling project is setting a realistic budget. When placing a budget, be sure to allow an extra ten to twenty percent of the total budget in reserves. By doing so, you have additional funds set aside if needed for unforeseen issues that might arise during the project.
Ask yourself these questions to help you decide your budget:
- What do you want this project to do?
- What details are required to make that happen?
- What are you willing to compromise on?
- What are you willing to splurge on?
To develop cost estimates:
- Choose fixtures and finishes and calculate what you will spend on them. Include paint, knobs, faucets, tile, flooring, and anything else you’ll need. Don’t forget to include taxes and shipping costs in the estimates for your materials.
- Include the appliances you want and what you expect to spend on them. Include costs for delivery and disposal of the old appliances.
- Consider what living expenses you will incur during your project. Consider the costs for living without a functioning kitchen, boarding pets, or staying outside the home during your project and include these costs in your spreadsheet.
- Ask an expert to help you develop your budget. If you don’t know where to start, paying a consultation fee to a general contractor or design professional is worth its weight in gold.
Decide on Scope for the Project
By having clarity from the beginning of the plan, you streamline and simplify the renovation for everyone involved. If you are a do it yourselfer, being realistic on what it will cost to hire licensed, insured trades will insure your project will pass inspections and meet local building codes.
Don’t Lose Focus
If you have a kitchen remodeling project planned, don’t get distracted and start working on your bathroom too unless that is part of the big plan! While you might have the itch to make multiple renovations or upgrades at the same time, unplanned improvements can greatly impact the timeline for project completion. Delays also increase costs, no one waits for free. Stay focused and keep your sanity.
Prepare for Inconvenience
Anytime you make improvements or renovations to your home, prepare for some inconveniences. Since work is getting done, access or usage of the areas getting renovated might be limited, pending completion of the project. Inconvenience is one of the main reasons you want your project to complete smoothly, so life can get back to normal.
Work with a Qualified Partner
Working with a highly-qualified partner helps assure that your home renovation project goes smoothly. Planning to remodel your home? No matter what you have in mind, choose the right company to handle the project. Schedule remodeling services from J&M Construction & Remodelling. We work hard to understand your needs and accommodate budgets and schedules.
J&M Construction and Remodeling has made hundreds of homes in Humble, Kingwood, TX and surrounding areas beautiful places to call home. Call us at (281) 359-3550 to get started on your kitchen or bath remodel, room addition, or outside patio space.
Check out our project gallery here